Wednesday, March 3, 2010

10-18-09 Triple Rock: Sweet Cobra, Minsk, PELICAN!!

The show last night at the Triple Rock was INCREDIBLE! Fucking aye, man. I arrived at the Triple Rock at maybe 9:40? 9:50? I checked the entrance to the part of the 3x Rock where bands play, but it wasn't open yet so I went around to the bar and grabbed a seat. Three Amstel Lights (my fat ass is trying to lose weight) and nearly an hour later, I decide that they've probably opened up the doors by now so I go stand in line. On a side note: Amstel has about as many calories as a can of soder pop. 110 or so? I don't remember. How many calories does regular beer on average contain? Hmm... If light beer has that any calories then non-light must be crazy... Anyways, I stood in line and got my wristband and ticket right when Sweet Cobra started playing. Sweet Cobra opened up the show and they were just fucking amazing. I had the vantage point I had when I saw Isis there and that is just a great place to stand, I tells ya. Stage left, which is pedestrian right. Right next to the short stairs leading backstage where the bands come out from. Fucking awesome view up against the wall where I could lean up against it and feel the vibrations move through me. I just absolutely love that feeling so much... The simple things in life, eh?
Anyways, Sweet Cobra. Ohhhhhh christ pogostick, they blew me away. Their geetarist stood right on the edge of the stage and played. There was some guy standing right beneath him. I laughed because the guy must've had a great view of his dong while standing there...hahahaha... The bassist/vocals was deadly. Fucking greattttt. But my very very favorite was the drummer. Just watching him bash on his set was awe inducing. I think that watching him really made me fall in love with the drums. If I were to take up an instrument, it would most likely be drums now. He and Dave Turncrantz of Russian Circles (I can't wait to see them next month) really make me have a deep desire to bang on some skins. My best freng did tell me once that he had a vision of me as a great percussionist...
It was the beginning of the show, I think that may be why the crowd was so...dead? They were so goddamn quiet when Sweet Cobra played. Just very little enthusiasm and cheering from the crowd. What the fuck? I for one was blown right out of the water. After their set, S.C. were packing up all their shite so the next band (Minsk) could bring their shite out. The drummer, Jason, was packing away his cymbals on the stairs next to me so I tapped him on the shoulder and he turned around. I told him how magnificent I thought he played and he shook my hand and said something along the lines of "Thank you so much, I'm a little rusty, though. It's our first day out." I thought to myself, if that was "rusty" playing then a lot of drummers are in trouble...
After a short intermission, the second opening band; Minsk played. My honest opinion? Their first song was overly droney to me, but their later songs were fairly excellent. They didn't move me as much as Sweet Cobra or Pelican did, but they were great, don't get me wrong. Their third? song was amazing. Mmkay. Minsk is done, pack up their shite, short intermission, Pelican brings their shite out, soundchecks, etc.
Right onnnn! Pelicannnnn is up!! YESSSSS! Laurent burns some incense before starting the set. It smelled really good for incense. I don't mind the smell of "normal" incense but this kind smelled particularly good...hmmm...
Anyway, Pelican fired it up! Soooo intensely powerful. They played mostly songs from their new album, I think...I loves Pelican to death, but I really can't tell one song from another other than Mammoth, Australasia, Drought and Winds With Hands, or really identify them too well at all. I hollered for them to play Drought, but they did not oblige, the assfaces... Oh well. "Ephemeral" was mind blowingly fantastic. I looked around and there were people standing there with their arms crossed, barely moving at all. Christ flap jacks, man! This is fucking Pelican! If this music doesnt move you, what in the world does? Even I, being as reserved and quiet, afraid to make an ass out of myself as I am; nodded my head, tapped my feet, danced a little. FUCK! What disappointed me and a whole lot of people was that Pelly did not come back out and do an encore performance though. What the hell? Ah well, they did their job. I, for one, was in the posesssion of thuroughly rocked socks and creamed jeans.
I headed for the merch table to support these wonderfully talented bastids. No one was really at the merch tables either? What the hell? Were these jerkfaces at the same show I was? If you enjoyed the show, you buy some swag, dammit! Plus, the merch at shows is always cheaper than buying them anywhere else, which is awesome possum. I looked at the Minsk stuff first, but I didn't have much money on me so I decided to skip them and buy some Sweet Cobra cds. Guess fucking what? and this was super badass in my opinion. Two of the band members themselves were at the table, peddling their wares. Botchy, the bassist/vocalist and Jason, the drummer were the ones who I bought the Two S.C. albums from: "Forever" and "Praise". Jason gave me a free patch? with the cds. It was a piece of black canvas like cloth about the size of a cd booklet with the words "Sweet Cobra" in grey on it. Awesome. I love them so much, I might sew it to my face...not really..that's weird... So I got my stuff and shook hands with Botchy and Jason. As I shook hands with Jason again, he told me "Thank you for the support" and I told him and Botchy how great they were once again. : )
I headed out, went to my car in the parking lot, started it up and was opening one of the cds, wanting to listen to it on the drive home when I remembered that I completely forgot to even take a look at the Pelican merchandise. Stupid bastard! I turned off my car, headed back inside and bought a Tusk (a band consisting of most members of Pelly) album and a special edition version of Pelly's newest album: "What We All Come To Need" which included a dvd. Awesome. NOW I can head home. I did just that and slept very soundly that night/morning...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wahtchu think, mayng?